Easy Braided Headband: Free Crochet Pattern
I recently completely organized ALL my yarn. I quickly realized I had a TON of little scrap balls. You know the ones I’m talking about, right? The ones that aren’t small enough to throw away but so small you’re not quite sure what to do with them. I started thinking of some ways to use them up.
I never make them but the Squid loves little headbands so I thought it would be a great way to use up some scraps. Plus, it makes for a quick and easy item to sell all year long.
Now for the FREE pattern 🙂
Easy Braided Headband
This pattern is copyrighted by KT and the Squid. You may NOT copy, share, change or sell the pattern itself.
If you’d like to sell finished items from this pattern please do!
Any weight yarn
Appropriate hook for yarn
Elastic hair tie
3-6 months: 15-17”
6-12 months: 16-19”
1-3 years: 18-20”
3-10 years: 19-22”
Small adult: 20-23”
Large adult: 22-24”
St = stitch
Ch = chain
Ss = slip stitch
Gauge is not important. You will measure as you go.
- Please read all instructions before you start.
- For this pattern you can use any weight yarn with any appropriate size hook.
- To determine size measure recipient’s head. If you do not have the recipient’s head measurement use the sizes listed above as a guide.
- For the thinner headband pictured I used Red Heart Stardust (discontinued) and a G hook. For the thicker headband pictured I used Red Heart Boutique Treasure and an H hook.
*Make note of how many chains you have for this first row.
Row 1 – Join with a ss to the elastic hair tie, ch until your ch and elastic band (unstretched) measures the same circumference of recipient’s head.
Row 2 – Ss in the 2nd ch from hook and every ch across, ss to the elastic hair tie.
Repeat rows 1 and 2, 5 more times, fasten off. You will have 6 tails.
- For the thinner headband only repeat rows 1 and 2, 2 more times. You will have 3 tails.
Separate the tails into 3 groups of 2.
- For the thinner headband you will just have 3 tails.
Loop the elastic band on a door, tape it to a table or whatever works to hold it in place, evenly and fairly loosely braid the tails.
Cut a strand of yarn and sew it to the ends of the tails to keep them in place.
Evenly sew this end of the braid on to the elastic hair tie (be sure not to twist the braid), weave in all ends.
Edit: For the headband pictured above I did not change colors at all (that’s just how the yarn stripes) BUT if you’d like a multi colored headband you can fasten off every time after row 2.
Pretty! It also gives you an excuse to buy more yarn!
Yes! I need to clear some scraps out to move more in, haha!! You get it 😉
It’s a vicious cycle! Heh heh heh.
Free pattern!! So adorable~~